Thursday, October 14, 2010

reflective essay

One of my major influences is the late, great Dr. Seuss. This man is truly a master of is craft. Every element throughout his work is executed beautifully. The first thing that draws me into Seuss is his use of color. The brilliant palette he works with is very playful and fun which really falls in line and adds to the stories he creates. Everything throughout his books from the writing, to the color, to the actual illustrations and line quality work together nicely to generate the same feelings and emotions; fun and playful. I'm also very attracted to the way he sets up his illustrations and settings. He seems to really break the traditional method of using a horizontal orientation in his illustrations which continues to add that crazy, playful feeling that his work has. Another thing that I find amazing is the simplicity of his illustrations yet they are loaded with information and beauty. I think Dr. Seuss is a great person to look at and learn from while I work on my comic. I certainly hope I can come close to achieving the skill of Dr. Seuss.

No comments:

Post a Comment